Sunday 26 July 2015

Do you enjoy your job?

Do I enjoy my job? The first question I get asked when people find out that I'm a student midwife. The answer sometimes varies in length and breadth, but the general gist is, yes - most of the time.

Do I love my job when I finish a day on the Birthing Unit at 10.30pm instead of 8.30 pm because I've had a delivery right on handover, and then ran to an emergency buzzer? No I don't.

Do I love my job when I volunteer to help in the Assessment Unit because the ward is overrun by women with complex needs who have been waiting forever, because the midwives are understaffed and overworked. Then missing a delivery because I'm still stuck there 7 hours later. Of course I don't.

Do I love my job when I've slogged all day, supporting fantastic women, only for them to need an assisted delivery or have a third degree tear? Absolutely not.

Do I love my job when we have poorly women or women who've lost their babies? No. No. No.

Do I love my job when I'm washing the amniotic fluid/blood/poo of my arms and legs in the shower at the end of a shift?….. Do I even need to answer this one?

The list goes on.

Do I love my job when I don't get to eat until 4pm? No.

Do I love my job when I don't have time to sit with a woman and talk through things? No.

Do I love my job when I don't get to know my women and their family? No.

Do I love my job when I'm waking up at 6am for 3 long days in a row? No.

No. No. No. No. No.

This blog post may make you think… oh my god. If she hates her job so much, why does she carry on doing it? But I think what speaks volumes about how amazing my job is, is the fact that I keep getting up and going to work, in spite of all these things.

There are 100 times more things that I love about my job. Moments that anyone who's not a midwife will never understand. Such as….

The moment you deliver a baby onto Mum's chest and the look in her eyes that says - I did it!

The look you share with the midwife, when you both know a woman's close to delivering.

When women look for you in a room to support them, when they need you.

The laughter and talking once baby is here and watching their faces light up when their baby yawns or feeds or sneezes or poos. Watching them fall in love with their little life.

Sitting down with a cup of tea after a beautiful delivery.

Getting sweet notes or cards from parents.

Hearing lovely feedback from parents and mentors.

And when people ask me…. what do you do?


Do I love my job? Most of the time.

Is it worth it? Absolutely.

No comments:

Post a Comment