Saturday 15 November 2014

My tips for first year student midwives

I can't believe that I'm a 2nd year student midwife. Without sounding entirely cliche, the past year has flown past. Everyone told me it would, but I wasn't quite prepared as to how quick it would really go.

I remember how nervous and excited I was on the first day. I remember listening to all of the lecturers in the induction week, and thinking that going on placement, delivering babies and essays seemed a million miles away.

I'm going to write this post in the hope of passing on knowledge to the new first years starting tomorrow. These are tips that I wish I'd known and utilised in the past year, and that I hope will help you out!

1). Buy a planner - Being a student midwife is chaotic to say the least, I would not have survived without my planner. It helps you plan your time much more effectively, and it helps you with the transition from lectures to placement and back to lectures again. Last year I had a specific midwifery planner, made by the lovely lady that runs the website below. The customer service is fantastic, they're fairly cheap and they are tailored for student midwives. Mine had a "catch chart," a wipe clean meal planner (brilliant for students living in halls), a log of placement hours, a budget planner and also a place to log childcare hours (which is fab for you mummy student midwives).

This year, I thought about a new planner too late and haven't been able to order one. However all of my housemates have one and they're just as good this year. The new planner includes a a vaginal examination guide which is brilliant. I nipped to Staples and bought a really lovely planner. I mainly wanted a lot of space for each day and also a space for addresses and contacts, as I'm focusing a lot on my uni's midwifery society this year. It also has an embedded notepad in the back of it, which is brilliant for my to do lists (you wait - you'll love lists as much as I do in a years time).

https://www.facebook.com/StudentMidwiferyPlanner?fref=ts

2). Memorise your portfolio - In your first year you'll get given your portfolio, or what is officially known as "progression points." At my university our portfolio is split into four different categories. We have our key skills which includes things like bed making, basic observations e.g. blood pressure, temperature, pulse. We have the admin pages which include our fine grading, interim reviews and service user feedback pages. We have our observed assessment pages, for a full antenatal and then a full postnatal check. And finally we have our midwifery skills pages, which are then divided in to type of midwifery care e.g. antenatal care, postnatal care, intrapartum care, neonatal care and drug administration.

In all honesty, your portfolio will become the bane of your life. The best advice I can give you, is to sort through your portfolio before each placement, and make a note or highlight the things that you want/need to get signed off. Discuss these things with your mentor when you meet them, and without fail get them to sign them as you achieve them. Signing in retrospect is really difficult, as often mentors don't remember things you've completed.

3). Privatise your social networking sites - The nursing and midwifery community is very wary about social media usage at the moment. It is true that in interviews, they will look at your social media as the first port of call. If possible, privatise your social networking as much as you can, but in general just be extremely careful about what you post.  I know of several people who have had to face repercussions over what they have posted on social networks. I go with the general rule of: if you wouldn't want to see one of your future mentors to see it, then probably don't post it.

4). Knick knack recommendations - There are certain knick knacks that will make every student midwife's life easier. These are just some of the midwifery accessories that I use regularly.

My torch pen was my life saver when I was working at the midwifery-led unit earlier this year. As a midwifery student you will advocate normal birth, and within all this (you will learn why) we really advocate having the lights dimmed when possible. Trying to see whats going on with the lights off is not easy, as amazing as midwives are, not even they have night vision! My torch pen allowed me to see what was going on when I needed to, without ruining the woman's environment.

A pocket gestation wheel is something that you will use constantly, in the majority of your placements, but community in particular. It allows you to work out gestation, EDD (estimated due dates) and some wheels will also identify landmark weeks e.g. when scans are, when a GTT (glucose tolerance test) would be if needed. A very handy tool.

A badge reel for placement is something you can't be without. Although my trust does permit lanyards, lots of trusts don't as it is a risk for infection. In general however it is just a nuisance, it interferes with everything. I have been completely tangled with a blood pressure cuff before, not a good impression to make! A badge reel means your badge is always handy to get through doors, especially if you have to run for an emergency or run to theatre.

5). Put yourself out there - Placement is scary, there's no denying that, but it's also exhilarating. Even now, a year later, starting a new placement every 4 weeks is nerve-wracking. Imagine starting a new job every 4 weeks? Meeting new people, finding out where you eat lunch and where the toilets are and all that jazz. Luckily however, this is made 10x easier by the fact that most midwives are lovely, friendly and willing to help in any way they can.

Ask as many questions as you can, even if they seem silly to you, the midwives themselves probably asked the same questions when they were students. Equally, don't be frightened if the midwives ask you questions, have a go, often the qualified midwives want to learn from us as well! We know the most up to date evidence, we're learning the brand new guidelines and reading the newest books…. always remember you are a valuable resource to a midwife.

6). Keep a portfolio of achievements - At the end of your third year (as far away as that may seem) you will have to present a portfolio, which basically summarises you, why you should be a midwife and what you have learnt in your three years. You want to demonstrate all of the things that make you special. I bought a special folder, to put in any certificates, thank you cards, achievements that demonstrate who you are as a person. If you keep these things from the start, it won't be such a hassle when it comes to presenting your portfolio in the third year.


Okay enough rambling, those are my top tips for surviving your first year. Good luck, enjoy it and even on the hard days… remember all the reasons you want to be a midwife. Everyone has ha

No comments:

Post a Comment