Tuesday 29 July 2014

My first delivery

I have wanted to write about my first delivery for an extremely long time, however I couldn't because I didn't happen until recently. It is part of our statutory regulations that confidentiality is maintained at all times, therefore I can't reveal any identifying details, and I wouldn't want to. Giving birth is the most personal and intimate experience a woman can go through and it should remain that way postpartum.

I was extremely excited for my placement on the freestanding birth unit, I had heard it was the most amazing place to work, and after my first week there I could understand why. The working environment was wonderful, the staff were lovely and the women were thrilled with the care they were receiving.

The one negative was that it was coming up to the end of the academic year, and lots of third years were under their required number of deliveries (which is 40, in case you didn't know). The third years are all lovely, and you can learn a significant amount from working with them and watching them practice. But I'll admit, it is a difficult thing to step away from a woman you've been caring for, in order to let a third year get their delivery. However, you have to consider the fact that when you're in their position you will want a first year to do exactly the same for you. I feel very lucky that lots of the women allowed me to remain in the room as a witness, as well as having the third year student carry out their delivery.

I was swapped for a third year (obviously with both mine and the woman's consent) several times in the placement, and although it was initially frustrating I appreciated the learning opportunity and the skills that the third years taught me. We also experienced several emergency situations together, and we supported each other, and afterwards she wrote to me commending me on my contribution to the emergencies.

Eventually though it came to a head, I needed a delivery in order to get my portfolio signed off. By this point I was almost at the end of my placement, and my last shift passed with no labouring women in sight. After liaising with my mentors and the link tutors it was decided that I would permanently be on call until a delivery happened. I was permanently on call for 3 days and 3 nights… at the same time as trying to finish an essay, revise for an exam and an OSCE. I can honestly say I've never been so tired, but these are the things you do for this crazy course.

After a few false alarms, I got the call I had been waiting for, a lady in established labour. I got dressed and sorted and as I drove to the birth centre I told myself I wouldn't leave until I had had my first hands on.

I arrived and the midwife gave me a handover, the ward was extremely busy that day and so I was going to be this lady's main carer. I recognised her name as I had seen her antenatally, I was very pleased about this as continuity of care is something I feel very passionate about, and there's nothing I love more than seeing a woman I know deliver.

So I cared for this lady and her family for 12 hours, in the early hours she delivered a healthy baby boy, my first delivery! I can honestly say I will remember every detail of it for the rest of my life. It had been quite a rough haul, but I was so emotionally invested and despite being exhausted I was desperate to see this baby. In a way I am glad it was such a difficult day, I worked hard for it and it was so worth it in the end. I will always remember the thank yous, the pictures, their faces when I told them their baby's weight and especially dad's face when I showed him how to dress the baby.

As I drove away I found it hard to believe that I was the first person to ever touch that precious new life; that the woman and her family will remember me forever and that I have to do another 39 of these to qualify!

It was one of the first moments in my life where I have truly felt proud of myself, and I was practically glowing as I rang my mum and said "guess who has finally delivered her first baby?"It is a day that will stay with me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment